Connect with us

EDO

Edo Youths protests against N200 million retirement home planned for Oshiomhole (Video)

Published

on

The alleged plan by the Edo Government to build N200 million retirement homes for former Gov. Adams Oshiomhole and his deputy has resulted to clash between the pro-government and anti-government  protesters members of some civil society organisations (CSOs) on Tuesday 22nd Nov, 2016. Watch video below…


According to Justin Okunobor, the speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly who justified the action of the Edo State House of Assembly, who last week amended the 2007 Pension Rights
of the Governor and Deputy Governor Law to include the provision of a
building valued N200 million for a former governor and N100 million for
his deputy. He said that the new
provision was justified as there was an existing law on pension benefits
for former governors and deputies.
The youth of Edo tag as (Anti-government protesters), who started protesting as early as 8: 00am from the  museum ground later marched toward the Anthony Enahoro House of Assembly Complex to
announce their rejection of the new pension benefits, came across another group of protesters who supported the amendment preventing them from gaining access into the building.
This resulted to clash between the anti-government protesters and the pro-government supporters, some protesters sustained injuries during the fight which lasted
about an hour, while some vehicles and public address systems used by the anti-government protesters were vandalized.
According to the spokesperson for the civil society groups, Osazee Edigin, who said
his members were attacked by thugs allegedly sponsored by the
government.

‘’They mobilsed thugs to attack us and we are trying to revive a guy
who fainted, the thugs have taken over Ring Road,  

The Chief Press Secretary to Edo Governor, John Mayaki, said the
state government recognised the rights and freedom of citizens to
express their opinion on public issues and would not do anything to
infringe on their freedom.
Mr. Mayaki who denied the allegations said there was no iota of truth in the claim of the CSOs
as the government would not in any way attempt to gag the people’s
freedom.

On the video above Comrade Omobude Agho said

 “The thugs came with all manner of arms and weapons to attack anti-government  protesters    members of  civil society, who were harmless, ‘without not even carrying a stick of broom’. You saw how they destroyed cars, injured some persons who have been rushed to the hospital. He said he was beaten mercilessly.”


Another protester Solomon  Ohiomokhai who also said the said N200 million will go a long way to help jobless youth.  “Think of what this N500 thousand can do  for the unemployed citizens of Edo State.

The pro-government protesters who claimed they never come out to attack any body, said the came to support the decision of the Edo State House of Assembly and the Chief Press Secretary to Edo Mr. Mayaki also denied the allegations.
 You are welcome to leave your comments and opinions below…

7Shares
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement Booking.com

Trending